Pentagon officials said on Tuesday that Iran fires over dozen ballistic missiles at several bases housing the troops of the United States in Iraq. It was instantly unclear if any service members of the United States hurt in Iran strikes. The White House officially decided against a formal address to its nation Tuesday night. The United States stock futures plunged after the news on Tuesday night. Dow Jones Industrial Average futures fell about 343 points and specified a loss of around 365 points at Wednesday’s open. Nasdaq 100 and S&P 500 futures keen to losses of a minimum of 1.3%. Dow futures temporarily dropped over 400 points earlier. Whereas, oil prices rose above 4% at their highs in early trading on the same night.
The response of the U.S. President Donald Trump on the Iranian Missile attack
The United States President Donald Trump responded to the attacks of the Tuesday night on Twitter: “All is well.” Ballistic missiles fired from Iran at two military bases situated in Iraq. Valuation of damages and casualties taking place now. Thus far, the U.S. has the most powerful as well as well equipped military anywhere in the world. He added that he would share his statement tomorrow morning.
All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 8, 2020
After the attacks’ reports, press secretary of White House, Stephanie Grisham said that they briefed Trump about the matter. Trump is observing the situation thoroughly and consulting with his national security team. Army General Mark Milley, Vice President Mike Pence and Secretary of Defense Mark Esper were at the White House on Tuesday night. Previously, Trump visited one of the bases that came under missile attack by Iran.
Foreign Minister of Iran, Mohammad Javad Zarif after Attack on Bases
Mohammad Javad Zarif, the Foreign Minister of Iran, said in a tweet on his official account after the attack that they do not pursue escalation of war but will defend themselves against any aggression from the United States. Iran took and decided equivalent measures in self-defence under Article 51 of United Nations Charter aiming base from which cowardly armed attack against their citizens and senior officials launched.
Iran took & concluded proportionate measures in self-defense under Article 51 of UN Charter targeting base from which cowardly armed attack against our citizens & senior officials were launched.
We do not seek escalation or war, but will defend ourselves against any aggression.
— Javad Zarif (@JZarif) January 8, 2020
Pence briefed Nancy Pelosi, the House Speaker about the attacks on the phone on Tuesday evening, the spokesman of the speaker Drew Hammill said. Pelosi tweets that she was deeply monitoring the situation. She said that they must guarantee the safety of their service members, including ending unnecessary provocations from the administration and demanding that Iran’s administration cease its violence. America and the world can’t afford a war, she added.
Closely monitoring the situation following bombings targeting U.S. troops in Iraq. We must ensure the safety of our servicemembers, including ending needless provocations from the Administration and demanding that Iran cease its violence. America & world cannot afford war.
— Nancy Pelosi (@SpeakerPelosi) January 8, 2020